Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Don't fool yourself

This writing business is serious business...it's not roses and cake. It's like really hard work. For some reason I thought I would be able to wake up whenever I want and lay around my house and write and make money. Um no, not at all. Doesn't work that way. Writing, unless you sell a screenplay, novel or are o NYT Best Seller List you're not making a whole lot of money. Being a freelance writer is similar to a struggling artist or actor, you have to have the determination to make it or this business will eat you alive. It's really sink or swim, every man for himself. These contractors what a lot of work for small amounts of money and if thats all the work you're getting at the money, you have no choice but you accept.

It's crazy how everyone loves the arts, painting, acting, writing, etc. but you don't get paid the big bucks until you 'make it'. While my friends are working at a job they hate making $15.00/hr...that just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. But I've learned over the years that I'd rather be happy than rich, or well off. And writing makes me happy. But...don't fool yourself, this is serious business. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment